The Academic Alert System is a communication tool within used to support the academic success and retention of our students. Through this system, instructors can report information about student attendance and performance to students and advisors. The system allows for submission of a progress report (good academic performance) or an academic alert (academic concerns), including excessive absences.
Submission of an academic alert generates an email message to the student as well as provides information to the student’s advisor(s). The student is asked to contact the instructor to discuss ways to improve and to contact the academic advisor to obtain help with developing a plan for success. Academic advisors are expected to initiate contact with students identified by the alert to provide advising assistance and appropriate referrals to tutoring services, career counseling, personal counseling, and other campus resources.
Academic Alert is a referral system through which any UW Tacoma faculty or staff member may identify undergraduate students who are having academic difficulty. Early intervention with students on the part of faculty, advisors, and other campus personnel can improve students’ likelihood to succeed. This program is available for faculty and staff to use throughout the quarter. The goal of the academic alert referral system is to connect struggling students with support services across campus that may help them identify and remediate the sources of their academic difficulties by:
- Providing students with feedback concerning their overall performance in courses, in a way that individual grades do not always convey
- Providing students with suggestions and strategies for their improvement in individual courses (e.g. class attendance, completion of assignments, individual conference with instructor, etc.)
- Providing academic advisors an opportunity to help students access resources for academic success (tutoring, supplemental instruction, conference with instructor, time management, and study skills) and reposition them for academic success
Please make a referral if you have a student with academic issues such as:
- Failed exams and/or quizzes
- Missing or incomplete assignments
- Attendance issues (tardiness, multiple missed classes)
- Lack of participation
- Time management challenges